You’ve seen Kelley O’Hara on the field, digging her cleats in and kicking butt. But what else do you know about BUILT WITH CHOCOLATE MILK’s soccer star? We sat down to get her POV on balancing a hectic schedule, her secret to killer arms, other sports she’s passionate about (plenty!), advice for young athletes and more.
Get to know Kelley and cheer her on as she helps lead the U.S. to victory in Canada.
1. When you’re nervous or about to tackle a big game or goal, what kind of pep talk do you give yourself?
Kelley: I always tell myself to remember what got me there. When I do that, it helps me to realize that I have everything it takes to accomplish whatever I am about to take on, because I have put in the practice, I have overcome obstacles and I am ready for whatever comes my way.
2. With your hectic schedule, how do you stay centered and maintain balance?
Kelley: I have amazing people around me that help me stay centered and balanced. I cherish any time I get to spend at home with my family, because it always leaves me energized. I also enjoy doing other activities, like surfing, playing other sports, drinking coffee and reading the newspaper, which can be very peaceful.
3. What is it like to play alongside and be surrounded by a group of such empowering and talented women?
Kelley: It is one of the best parts of the job. I feel lucky I get to go to work with people who are as passionate about their craft as I am. My teammates inspire me every day. They keep me motivated, they push me, they also make me laugh and enjoy the journey.
4. You inspire your fans, but how do they inspire you?
Kelley: Our fans are so inspiring because they are consistent, relentless and passionate. Their support, their cheering, their words of encouragement are always uplifting, inspiring and motivating.
5. If you could – what one piece of advice would you give to your 10-year-old self?
Kelley: Keep doing what you’re doing, kid!
6. What would you tell a young girl to say to anyone who tried to get in the way of her goal?
Kelley: Sorry, not going to happen!
7. Let’s be honest, you have amazing arms – what is your go-to work out?
Kelley: Do pull ups. Start with one, half of one or an assisted one and do them every time you work out and keep adding to it. I try to do 3 sets of 6 and now I’m trying to get to 3 sets of 7. Pushups are great for arms too.
8. What’s in your soccer bag?
Kelley: Cleats, shin guards, screw driver for my soft grounds, sunscreen, Blistex, a pump needle, chocolate milk, water, my heart rate monitor and a watch.
9. You mentioned playing a lot of sports as a child before soccer ‘stuck.’ If you weren’t playing soccer, what sport would you play professionally?
Kelley: This is by no means because I’m excellent at them, but purely because I enjoy them: surfing, tennis, triathlon or snowboarding.
10. What’s one thing about you that you think most people would be surprised to learn?
Kelley: I make my bed almost every morning. Whether I’m in a hotel or not.
Find out more about professional soccer star Kelley O'Hara and watch her new commercial here.